Image Map

A Father's Day Tribute

15 June 2014

I have been given a completely different perspective on Father's Day this year. It is the anniversary (Father's Day 2013) of when Jill and I submitted our pre-application into Gladney, and anxiously awaited our approval to attend orientation. The hope of becoming a great dad, when my time comes, prompted me to reflect on the great dads that surround me, especially mine.

I always knew that I had an extraordinary dad, but this year as I am getting closer to become a father myself. I have a newfound respect for that man. I have tried to mimic him in every way growing up. He is the type of man that everyone wants to be. He is a hard working provider, and a loving caretaker with a huge heart.  He was a man that lived his life way beyond his time. He grew up in an era where men are men. A time when you live to work and anything more than a handshake is a sign of weakness. Well, not for him. He has always lived as a true example of a real man. You work hard, take care of all people, honor your word, kick ass when you need to, and most of all you love without being ashamed to show it. I grew up with parents that never let me forget the love they had for me. The truth is, the only reason my dad and I switched to kissing on the cheek is because it was getting weird with our mustaches touching. I am proud of the example that has been set for me, and it is very comforting that I will be able to be the best dad possible with this man in my corner.


I have the great fortune of being surrounded by childhood friends, new friends, and brother in laws that I have gotten to watch grow into great dads. We have many children in our lives that we get to spend time with. These men all have different fathering styles. They discipline differently, they all have different activities that bonds them with their kids, and they even have a different vocabulary around their kids. The one thing that they all have in common is they all have a tremendous love for their babies, and they are all growing into great kids! I noticed the biggest similarity of all between all of these great dads. I noticed that all of the best fathers, have great mothers right beside them. And I know that the mother of my kids will be the best out there.

We love getting to "play parents" with these wonderful kids, even if it is just for a few days. But truthfully, I have never been more than an "assistant coach" to the kids that I love so much. I can love them, play with them, cheer them on, and even sometimes discipline them, but one thing always happens.....they go home.  As our metaphorical pregnancy grows closer with every passing month, we keep content knowing that our time is near. We can't wait for the day when our first child is here, and I can adapt all of the representations from all of these great men into my own abilities to father.

Happy Father's Day to my wonderful dad and all of the great dads that influence me!

No comments :

Post a Comment